Pages

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Death of a ThinkPad

My laptop died today (or yesterday, as it is almost 2am). It seemed to be working fine earlier today. I glanced at it/checked the time probably around 5:45 this evening, and when I came back to check my email about about quarter to 8, there was a black screen and a tiny whiter cursor blinking in the top left corner. I don't know if this could be considered "blue screening" as the screen was not blue. Then again, it may have been blue when it started its death throws, but alas, I was not here to witness it.

So, here I am, typing away on my parents' computer. Man, this thing is old. I used this thing to write my Senior Exit Paper. Talk about memories. I was on this computer about 3.5 years ago when I smelled toast even though no one had been cooking, prompting me to wonder if I had a brain tumor. It was also here, sitting at this computer, that I had a breakdown whilst doing pre-calculus homework in 11th grade. I threw my book and my notebook across the room. I still remember the ripping of paper, and how much I didn't care. But this is also the computer where I attempted my first musical mix. I recorded myself playing "Mad World" on the piano in one file, and recorded myself singing it in another, and then spliced to two together. Now, I'm not a phenomenal singer, but the end result was pretty snazzy, especially since it was the end result of Windows standard Sound Recorder and a shitty monitor microphone (and also perhaps my first experience in something that I may want to continue pursuing).

But fond or not-so-fond memories aside, it really pisses me off that my laptop died. I'm not really sure what happened. I think the fan stopped working, causing it to overheat. This happens a lot though, but the tech guy at my school (who issued me the laptop) said that my computer must have been in pretty bad shape. But, he also said that there was a really good chance at getting all my files back. Which is a good thing. Almost all my recent writing is on that computer, along with some digital songs files -- all files I've been meaning to backup on disk, but haven't gotten around to doing yet. Also, my password for online registration is on there, and as one of my classes got cancelled and I now have to register for another one, I'm going to be needing that soon. But the tech guy also said that I could send the computer to them and they would fix it, and restore all my files (hopefully), so I guess I'm alright.

I'm still pretty bummed though.

Oh, and I still don't have a job.

But, on the brighter side, I am going to see Editors in NYC in September. Heck yes!

Much love,
Christina

1 comment:

Amy said...

You might need to do a reinstall. Mine did the same thing a few years ago. Damn laptops. Is your a HP, too?

Amy