Pages

Friday, February 03, 2006

Jack Johnson and the Plane Crash

Last night I had one of the scariest dreams I've ever had. And probably one of the most vivid. I was at some sort of carnival or something... more like a fair. It had different booths and stuff. I was there with a few people, but I can't really remember who. Maybe Mary Ann and Alison, and a few other people. I don't specifically recall. But at one point we started talking about Jack Johnson, and I was like "eh, I don't really like Jack Johnson. I mean, I like a few of his songs, but I don't really like him." Only the guy I was thinking about was Ben Harper, but whatever. So we're walking from booth to booth, and then we actually see Jack Johnson. And he has his own booth selling... I dunno... surfboards? But so everyone else with me got all excited because aparently they love him. And they wanted to take a picture with him, but I wasn't allowed in the picture because I didn't like him. And it made me kinda jealous because I did like him... my earlier statements had been about someone else, but I was just stupid and got the name wrong.

Anyway, so ol' Jack and I got to talking, and he liked me and we became friends. And we're just talking talking talking when we hear this really weird noise. We look up and there's a plane above us, and it's on fire. There's black smoke streaming out of it. We're like "oh shit, where is it gonna land?" And by this time, we're no longer at the fair; now we're on my campus behind the university center. And the plane is flying, or trying, over us. Then it make this sharp turn and we panic, thinking maybe it might land somewhere on campus. But then it makes another sharp turn and we're like "okay, at least it won't land on campus..." But then... of course... it makes another sharp turn and Jack's like "quick over there!" and we all jump into this stone stairwell that leads down to South Orange Ave. Our reasoning is that being below the land that the plane will land on will protect us at least somewhat from whatever might come our way... for instance, the explosion of fire and hot air.

So as soon as we get down there, the plane, which wasn't really all that big, crashes right behind the cafeteria. And flames and smoke shoot out in every direction. We all huddle down to the bottom of the stairwell, covering out heads, tornado-drill style as everything passes over us.

When we get up... someone has already set up a triage. There was this old lady and she was all burned down her back. It was awful. Someone was putting cool strips of cloth on her. Then Libby from "Lost" shows up, and apparently she's a doctor or something. She's telling us all that we have to take certain kinds of vitamins (which reminds me of those pills that you're supposed to take in case of nuclear radiation... potassium iodide or something). But then she said something like "except for those of us with burns. We're on a different diet." Whatever that has to do with vitamins. But so now I'm like "am I burned?"

I was wearing a tank top, so I guess it was conceivable. So I went over to Jack and I was like "Jack, is my back burned?" and he looked up at me but didn't say anything. Then Kate from Lost showed up (i had a lot of guest stars in my dream i guess). I think she kinda told me that my back was burned but it wasn't really bad. I could kind of see it when i tried to look at my shoulder. My back was definitely red. That scared the crap out of me, fears of infection running through my head. Hiding in the stairwell wasn't that useful anyway. But then i noticed something else. My hand really hurt. So I looked down at it, and the back of it was all red. And it burned. It really really hurt. And then i noticed that the skin was starting to bubble a little. It really really really hurt. It was awful. So I started screaming and crying. Right before I woke up there were like 6 or 7 bubbles on the back of my hand.

But then I did wake up. And I realized that I had been sleeping on my hand. And it was hot and had sleep lines on it from my sheets. I chuckled a little as I rolled over, but couldn't get the image of the explosion out of my head.

Right before the flames came over us I remember thinking: "I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DAmn that is crazy

-erica-

Anonymous said...

on August 13th my fathers cousin Jack Johnson was killed in a plane crash. I ran across ur blog looking up the news story. strange coincidence.