Pages

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

New Jersey vs. North Carolina

Now that I've been living in New Jersey for about a year and a half, I've begun to notice subtle differences between here and "home." Now, there are the big ones like more public transportation, and if you live in a small town you tend to have more than 10 teeth, but there are also bigger, more social differences... (and I don't just mean that there are no Chik-Fil-A's, which is a damn shame...)

For example, something I've noticed that really bothers me is the difference in music. In the South, or in Charlotte, there's pretty much everything. There's the hip-hop, rap, country, pop, rock, whatever. Up here there's hip-hop or "hardcore" rock. And that's it (i know there are others too, but they seem to be less popular). Like some kids I know... for them, it's either New Jersey Hardcore, or it's nothing. And I don't see what the big deal is. I can't understand half of what the "singers" are saying anyway.

I've also noticed that a lot of the kids here are so stubborn and closed-minded about new things (and I'm sorry New Jersians... or New Jerseyers... or whatever, but for the most part it's true). I try to share with my new friends the joys of the music I hear in Charlotte, but it never seems to take.

Me: "Listen to this! They are so great!"
Random Friend: "Okay"
excitedly plays music for new friend
Me: "What do you think?"
friend gives me weird cringe, seeming to ask if I'm retarded

And this is how it seems to go every time. I play the same music for friends in Charlotte and they're like "wow! i've never heard anything like that before! that's so cool! let me borrow your cd! let's go to a show!"

And you know, there are a few people in Jersey who like the bands i try to push on them... and the funny thing is... they're not originally from Jersey. Go figure. So, I couldn't recruit anyone to come see Bain Mattox with me. But whatever. Their loss.

I'm just tired of getting looks questioning my mental capacity and/or taste. I's goin' back to Charlotte :(

No comments: