Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Bain Mattox: God of Accordions, Mandolins and My Heart

I love Bain Mattox. There. I said it. I'm in love with Bain Mattox. I will gladly have his babies.

The show at the Knitting Factory on Saturday was a little familiar patch of heaven in this otherwise unfamiliar patch of real life. It was definitely the break that I needed. If you didn't go with me, you missed a good one, as the two people who did show would agree.

But, even though it was a touch of home, it still wasn't the same. Maybe it was because the room was filled with teeny-boppers waiting for some former boy-bander I think. I don't know who he was, but it didn't matter because I wasn't there to see him anyway. Bain was my reason for traveling an hour and a half to a tiny dark street I'd never been before. It was also different because I didn't have my usual Bain patron with me -- Amy. The other two times I've seen Bain Mattox, Amy had been with me. She even drove 2 hours back to Charlotte from Boone to come see him this past June. That was a good show. Mary Ann came too. So that's why on Saturday, I kept turning to make comments to her, only to find that she wasn't there. So it was kinda lonely, but it was still good. Bain and his band made it good, haha.

Even though they were only on for about 30 or 40 minutes, it was so worth it. I would have liked it if they were on for another hour, and I told Bain this, and he smiled and said "well maybe next time." He's a really friendly guy. I went up to him before their set because I wanted to buy their new CD, and he was talking to some band members and I waited, but then they showed no signs of stopping, so I butted in. "Excuse me, Bain?" I said, and he turned around and smiled the hugest smile I've ever seen anyone smile at me before. He was so excited that I was there to see him, and that I wanted a CD... haha. It was cute. But then the show was just amazing. Their set was probably 90% from the new album, "Prizefighter". They played "Sixes and Fives," "Republic of You," and "Thorn" from their old album. Good choices, though I think "Shotgun Pageant" should have been stuck in there somewhere too.

I think I might have made two new Bain fans. That would be awesome. I love Bain.

(Sorry about the quality of the pics... my camera's zoom and flash are kinda crappy...)
#1. The whole band
#2. Bain, God of Rock
#3. Ah, the accordion
#4. Mandolin, baby!

(update about album to come... sneak peek: "it fucking rocks" haha)

No comments: