Pages

Friday, November 09, 2007

Song Headache (a real one this time, haha)

The mind is amazing thing. One of the wonders of the mind is the random appearance of a song.

Why does a song, a song we haven't thought of in years, a song we learned the words to years ago, suddenly pop into our heads, unannounced?

Why, when I was doing laundry earlier, did a song we used to sing in elementary school suddenly spring into my head? When I was in second grade or something like that, we used to have assemblies about imagination and I don't even remember what. It was held in the gym/multi-purpose room. We would "fly" on our "magic carpets" (a.k.a. sitting on a carpet square) to far off lands and learn valuable cultural and imaginative lessons. Our gym teacher (Ms. Clarkson?) and our art teacher (Mrs. Rutherford?) would lead us in a song before every "flight."

I was 7 years old. And I still remember all of the words.

Come take a ride on the magic carpet
Come exploring with me
We'll see the sights from the highest mountains
To the lowest depths of the sea
So many miracles
So much to learn
So many things to see and to do
I don't think that anything could be more fun
Than seeing them and doing them with you!
So come take a ride on the magic carpet
A truly miraculous, magic carpet!
Come exploring with me!


Hahaha, some of the things I remember are so bizarre. :)

No comments: