Pages

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Poignant Quotes...

I love to read. And more than anything else, I love to take pieces of philosophy from the books I read and write them down so that I never forget them. I recently found an old notebook I use to write down such quotes and other moving passages (usually song lyrics). I haven't opened it in months, so I started reading some of the quotes I've taken from books that I thought were so insightful. Here are a few:

"And maybe you don't go to hell for the things you do. Maybe you go to hell for the things you don't do." -- Lullaby, Chuck Palahniuk, p. 175.

"Game shows are designed to make us feel better about the random, useless facts that are all we have left of our education." -- Invisible Monsters, Chuck Palahniuk, p. 103

"When we don't know who to hate, we hate ourselves." Invisible Monsters, p. 104

"What you don't understand you can make mean anything." Diary, Chuck Palahniuk, p. 134

"According to Plato, we don't learn anything. Our soul has lived so many lives that we know everything. Teachers and education can only remind us of what we already know." Diary, p. 188.

"Why is it that you feel like a dope if you laugh alone, but that's usually how you end up crying?" Invisible Monsters, p. 121

Okay, so most of them are from the same author, haha. But I don't think that makes them any less true or even jarring. That last one is especially telling. Why is it that we often just cry by ourselves? Perhaps it's just ingrained in our minds to be strong and not let others see our weaknesses. I never understood that ideal. I think that if everyone was as open with each other as we are with ourselves we'd have a lot more happiness in this world (not to sound all hippie-y or anything). If we could tell each other the truth, the truth of what we are feeling... there'd be less pain. I mean, obviously, yes there would be. But if little Billy could just tell his mommy that he broke the window, he wouldn't have to see her afraid of burglars. Or if Cindy could tell anyone about what Old Man Jenkins does to her behind the barn, she wouldn't hate herself quite as much..... If I only could tell him that I think he's talented, intelligent, kind, attractive, and all-around wonderful, maybe then he could let go and allow himself to open up a little more. And then maybe I wouldn't feel so nervous around him.

*sigh* if only we could be honest, eh? Heh.... ;)

God, I hope he never reads this.... hahahaha.... or figures out I'm talking about him.... *embarrassed* hahaha:)

1 comment:

Breanne Crawford said...

i love you. let's be hippie lovers together.

you are wonderful. and fabulous. and my kindred spirit. that sounds stupid, but you are. everything i read from you makes me love you a little bit more.

you rock my world (in a non-sexual, totally mind-connecting way)