Pages

Monday, March 13, 2006

Springy Break

So I'm back from Spring Break now. I'm happy. It was so much better than last year's. In fact, a lot of things are better than they were a year ago. I've just spent the last hour or so reading my other blog that I used to update a lot. I was reading back entries, from this summer all the way back to February of last year. My goodness, a lot has changed. Are there more things going good in my life, or has a year really affected my personality so drastically? Reading all those entries from approximately a year ago makes me feel sorry for myself. Probably because almost all the entries were about being depressed and remembering when I was 15 and contemplating suicide. I mean, I still get depressed. But now I feel like it's for different reasons, and I haven't been depressed for a couple months (I think I get depressed about the winter months now).

But I have a lot of things to not be depressed about in my life now, I guess. This spring break I got 4 really great albums. Right now I'm listening to Jack Johnson's On and On. It's really good. Ever since that dream that I had a while ago, I've been listening to more Jack. Pandora.com is amazing. And so is my other Pandora... my friend over at Manifest. He recommended (read: handed me) another really good CD. It's this guy named Chris Whitley (who is dead now I think). It's kinda rock-y, blues-y sort of. It's one guy, a mic, and his guitar (and sometimes banjo). The liner notes also credit to him the "foot stomp". I really like the first track called "Scrapyard Lullaby." It reminds me of someone else, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's the kind of music that makes you want to accompany Mr. Whitley on the foot stomp. I also really like track #4, "Wild Country." I'm not sure why, but it makes me sad. And makes me think of Charlotte. Probably because Whitley talks about "returning to the wild where I'm from." And I guess Charlotte's pretty wild... and it is where I'm from. Nostalgia, maybe? I don't know. But it's a good song. Check it out: Chris Whitley, Dirt Floor.

Also, saw Bain Mattox again. It was so great. Like an hour and a half of the Bain. Ooooh, wonderful. They're so high energy, it's great. I love when Mr. Mattox dances around the stage with his accordion. I also enjoyed the fellas' tribute to Tom Petty, especially when Bain, Chris and Mike jumped down from the stage to mingle with the crowd (aww, poor Rivers and Andy with their stationary instruments.. hehe... i like Rivers... he kinda reminds me of Peter Krause). Then Bain jumped up on a stool and was playing. That was pretty sweet. Haha.

I just hung out a lot, watched a couple movies, had some fun conversations. Just generally had a good time.

I'm so glad I'm in a better place than I was a year ago.

1 comment:

Breanne Crawford said...

Bain is hot. And for that, he is rad.

The end.