Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Little Ashes!

I really do need to keep up with this more. I've decided that with the invention of the Internet, and the subsequent invention of every single social networking site and cool new blogging site, all meant to make connecting with and keeping track of people easier, it is, in actuality, much harder. Who has time for them all?

Anyway, I totally forgot to tell you about the movie I saw 5/8. Yep, Little Ashes made its 12-screen debut across America two weeks ago, making just under $74,000 its opening weekend. Hey, that's not bad for only 12 screens. Now playing in 15 theaters across the country, it has grossed $151,390! That's terrific if you think about it: a little known indie film about mostly forgotten Spanish culture icons, Salvador Dali and Federico Garcia Lorca. Yeah, the gross total of the second week was almost half of what it was opening week, but still. That's not a bad amount of money. Okay, yeah... so it's not doing that well. I blame the lack of publicity.

I'm making a poor example of my degree here, as I have not properly researched, but I assume that the film had a relatively small budget. Perhaps there was not a lot of room there for publicity/marketing. Perhaps they thought that since now one of their stars is a tween-heartthROB, that was all they needed. I don't think they counted on that, but who knows. Still, the thing that's sad about this is that such a moving movie will go unseen by millions because there is/was not enough backing for a wider release.

Then again, that leaves more of a chance for it to accrue a cult following, as I think it deserves. The movie follows Spanish painter Salvador Dali as he enters university, where he meets poet Federico Garcia Lorca and filmmaker Luis Bunuel. There seems to be an immediate attraction between Dali and Garcia Lorca, whom Dali remarks, shyly and in awe, is "famous" for having published one of his poems. Garcia Lorca is equally impressed by Dali's artistic ability. They, along with friend Bunuel, work off of and with each others' abilities, all in the midst of a country on the brink of civil war. With this war, and its blossoming societal/fascist conflicts as the backdrop, Dali and Garcia Lorca struggle with their passion for each other. You see, Dali is torn between the passion he feels for Garcia Lorca and his strong Catholic upbringing (not to mention his fear of syphilis... oddly, I'm assuming, displayed through 2 bizarre bouts of hearing voices in his head. I'm assuming this because they never explain what the voices are). Meanwhile, the country is changing, drawing Bunuel off to Paris, where he feels he needs to escape. Eventually Dali follows, crushing Garcia Lorca, who remains behind. Periodically, they meet up, and their passion is reignited. However, now the country is in turmoil and homosexuality is a crime. You know they still love each other, but... I don't want to ruin anything for you. Go hunt down a theater playing this movie and watch it for yourself :)

This movie got mixed reviews. Some love it; others hated it. And while the story does kind of move slowly toward the beginning, it's still very engaging and entertaining. Robert Pattinson as Salvador Dali is definitely the comic relief (at one point, trying to make a socialite feel awkward, Dali announced that he "would like an enema!"). Not to mention that signature weirdo-Dali face with his crazy, upturned handlebar mustache. Pattinson pulls this off quite well. But in the more serious scenes, Pattinson and Javier Beltran (Federico Garcia Lorca) are also sweet, awkward, and most importantly, believable. I thought the love scenes would be uncomfortable to watch, especially after reports came out about how the crew would giggle as they were trying to film them, but they were actually quite passionate and consuming. Even the sex/masterbation scene with the longing stares was so intense, I may have held my breath. I won't reveal anything, but damn. Just damn.

I thought it was a great movie, and I would totally see it again. I love when a movie has the power to evoke an emotion in my cold, little heart, haha. This one definitely did. Damn, now I want to see it again. Trip to NYC anyone? :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting us know about this film, I shall look for this. PS: Come on, Dali an almost forgotten icon ? I think you must have been kidding there !