Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Same Old Song and Dance

Earlier this year, I had the brilliant idea that I needed to start my own website. Sell my own brand, you know? I needed a place where I could put all my work to showcase it to the world. A sort of online portfolio.

I think that was the original purpose of buying that damn domain, and setting up the website.

But when it came down to it, I fell SO short content-wise. I couldn't think of anything to write about. This wasn't really a personal blog, after all. Was it? No, it was. Sort of. I wrote a total of 8 posts, and 2 of them were personal. The other 6 were about television. Because once I exhausted myself on those 2 personal posts, I could do no more. And after four months, I finally realized why. Having the domain intimidated me. I felt like I had to perform for the whole of the internet. My last name was in the domain, so it was a showcase of who I was and what I could do. But I quickly realized that I didn't have enough clips to really justify the site, and I didn't really have many plans to add more. Sure I've written things on other sites, but other people whose sites I envied had SO many more. They wrote for big name sites too. I just don't have that clout. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for my blogging experience to warrant my own web presence.

But the problem of wanting to blog still remained.

Today I sat and tried to navigate the inner tunnels of Hell that is GoDaddy.com where I have my site registered, trying desperately to figure out how to transfer my site to a free Wordpress.com account. I'm broke as it is, and I'm trying to save money for a goal that I'll talk about in another post. I can't afford to keep paying for hosting. The money for the domain is already gone, so kiss it off. But I'd rather the $6 for hosting each month just stay in my account. Hey, it puts me $6 closer to happiness, right? So I decided to let it go defunct. And it will in 11 days when my hosting is up, and it doesn't get renewed. Once I let my rage subside, maybe I'll go back and see if I can cancel my account.

So I created a free URL on Wordpress.com, and stared at the dashboard. I looked and looked, trying to figure out how to just move over all my posts. First problem: the free blog doesn't even have the same theme available. This was just getting harder and harder. But then I remembered that you were still here, old boy. My Blogger. My Blogspot. I've been a member of you since 2004, and been unloading all my crazy into you since 2005. I already have you, so why am I trying to reinvent the wheel here?

So, I decided (with the help of a friend -- who may be a new reader? Hello, new reader! You're my second one!) that I'll come back here. I'll revitalize this blog when the urge to blog strikes. I've said this before -- over and over and over and over again -- but this is final. I may not be here often. And when I do turn up, it may be full of self-doubt and fear and pain, but that was the purpose of this little emo-as-hell blog way back when anyway.

You're stuck with me, Blogspot. There's no use fighting it.

No comments: